Try this short-cut version of one of our favorites—pick up rotisserie chicken for time saver. Serve with tortilla strips, chopped avocado, and shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch slices
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
6 cups canned fat free chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) jar salsa
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 (16-ounce bag) frozen corn
1. In large non-stick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook chicken over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Add onion and garlic; continue sautéing until tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, salsa, chili powder, cumin, and lime juice, bringing to boil. Reduce heat and cook 10 minutes; add corn, cooking for few more minutes.
To Prepare and Eat Now: Serve
To Freeze: Cool to room temperature, transfer to freezer containers, label, and freeze.
To Prepare After Freezing: Remove from freezer to defrost. Reheat in nonstick pot over low heat. Alternately, you can reheat in microwave.
Nutritional information per serving, Calories 256, Protein (g) 32, Carbohydrate (g) 27, Fat (g) 2, Calories from Fat (%) 8, Saturated Fat (g) 1, Dietary Fiber (g) 4, Cholesterol (mg) 66, Sodium (mg) 760, Diabetic Exchanges: 3.5 very lean meat, 1.5 starch, 1 vegetable
An all time family favorite–open cans and prepackaged seasoning makes a great simple supper solution. Try using reduced sodium taco seasoning to lower sodium.
Makes 8 cups
1 pound ground sirloin
2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies (mild)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
1 (1 ¼-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
Half (1-ounce) package original ranch salad dressing mix
2 cups water
2 cups frozen corn
1. In large nonstick pot, over medium heat, cook ground sirloin until done, 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook 5 – 10 minutes.
To Prepare and Eat Now: Serve.
To Freeze: Cool to room temperature. Transfer to freezer containers, label, and freeze.
To Serve: Defrost. Reheat in a non-stick pot over a low heat until thoroughly heated. Can reheat in the microwave.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 269, Protein (g) 19, Carbohydrate (g) 32, Fat (g) 4, Calories from Fat (%) 14, Saturated Fat (g) 1, Dietary Fiber (g) 8, Cholesterol (mg) 30, Sodium (mg) 1102, Diabetic Exchanges: 2 very lean meat, 2 starch
Recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC® Freezer Friendly Meals
©2006 by Holly Clegg